When the Club was formed, as Luffness Golf Club in 1867, it was the 35th registered golf club in the world and the course then was on the far side of the Peffer Burn on land which is now part of the Nature Reserve. Unfortunately for the historian or enthusiast, there is little evidence of the course layout and the original clubhouse.
After some 27 years, the then George Hope, as landowner, had ambitions to create a new golf course slightly closer to the village of Gullane, which did not meet with approval of those who hailed from Aberlady! The outcome was a non acrimonious split in the Club where half stayed to play the new course, thus forming Luffness New Golf Club (1894), whilst the remaining members accepted an offer from a neighbouring landlord, the Earl of Wemyss and March, to build a golf course on the links land bordering Craigielaw Farm. It was appropriate to rename the Club, Kilspindie in 1899.
From its very beginnings Kilspindie, as a golf club, built a reputation as a warm and welcoming Club. Many of the original non-course owning clubs who chose to play their annual outings over our links still do so today, keeping a tradition alive after more than 100 years! As the popularity in general grew, so did the Club. However, it is thanks to the dedication, generosity and hard work of some members, following on from both World Wars which saved the Club during those periods of austerity.
With the excellent services of Club Stewards over the years, High Tea after a game of golf at Kilspindie took some beating – with 3-tiered cake stands, scones to die for and, for an extra 6d., one could enjoy 2 eggs with their “Golfers Grill”!
Two stone structures on our links the Target, at the 5th tee, and the Magazine, at the 12th tee, were both actively used in the early days when we shared the golf course with the local rifle club!
There have been few changes made to our links over the past 112 years so golfers, irrespective of their standard of play, may enjoy our traditional Scottish links.
Welcome and haste ye back!